Note: This post may contain affiliate links. Read full disclosure policy here.
In the market for an SUV tent or just curious to check them out? You’re in the right place because here you will find the largest and most useful review of SUV tents on the internet.
SUV tents are tents that attach to the back of your SUV and in this article, we’ve rounded up our recommendations for the 15 best SUV tents. Check out what they have to offer and this article will certainly help you choose which one is best for you.
What is an SUV Tent?
Most SUV tents attach to the rear of the vehicle and allow you combine your SUV with your tent. You are able to directly access your SUV through the rear door from inside the tent.
This design adds more weather protection and convenience as you can easily find your stuff in the car without having to carry it to the tent.
SUV tents can provide additional living space. The cargo area of your vehicle can be used for additional storage or even extra sleeping space if you fold down the rear seats.
Many SUV tents are standalone as well, which lets you use your tent even if you can’t (or don’t want to) pull your car up close to the tent.
An SUV tent is an excellent investment if you plan on car camping fairly frequently. It maximizes the space of your vehicle and there are endless possibilities when using one. Once you have experienced its convenience, an SUV tent is the travel companion you don’t want to leave home without.
SUV Tent Awnings
If a full sized SUV tent doesn’t appeal to you, consider an SUV awning. These are essentially extensions of your rear door and can be super convenient in many instances.
They provide more dry space for your gear (or for you!) if it happens to rain. They can also give you some nice shade when you’re camping in sunny weather.
Click here to just to jump to the SUV Tent Awnings
Multi-room SUV Tents
Napier Outdoors Sportz SUV Tent
Claim to Fame:
The Napier Outdoors Sportz SUV Tent claims to be the ultimate in vehicle camping comfort. It transforms any SUV into a complete campsite with its added screen room and extendable awning.
- Provides a 10’ x 10’ ground tent with 7.25’ headroom plus a 6’ x 7’ screened room and 6’ x 6’ optional awning
- Sleeps 5-6 adults
- 2 doors, 3 meshed windows, and 2 overhead skylights
- Made with full waterproof PU polyester taffeta, woven polyethylene floors, and steel frame
- Can easily convert into a standalone tent by unzipping and removing the vehicle sleeve
- Has universal vehicle sleeve that fits all SUVs
The Napier Outdoors Sportz SUV Tent is great for big groups of campers. It is a great tent to consider when you like to go camping with plenty of gear. On the other hand, this tent tends to be more expensive than other brands of the same size. Others also find the setting up to be tricky and time-consuming at first.
KingCamp Melfi Plus SUV Tent
Claim to Fame:
The KingCamp Melfi Plus SUV Tent is a multipurpose tent that boasts an accommodation of up to 9 people. It provides a variety of options to fit your needs and your activities. The tent is also breathable while keeping the inside dry and comfortable.
- This tent has a 9.5’ x 9.5’ x 7.5’ inner dimension, a secondary screened room with 9.5’ x 6.5’ size, and an option for a front or side awning
- It has 3 doors and several meshed windows for great ventilation.
- The flysheet material uses a 190T polyester, PU coating rated 3000 mm waterproofing. The inner material is made up of breathable 180T polyester and the floors are detachable PE. It has a steel and fiberglass framework.
- Can be used as a stand-alone tent when you take your car somewhere.
- Available in a variety of sizes and models to provide versatility to fit any vehicle
This is the tent of choice if you are looking for a larger tent. With the large space and waterproofing protection, this tent is well worth its price tag. The only comment we have for this is the quality of zippers. They tend to get stuck midway more often than other tent zippers.
Smittybilt Overlander Rooftop Tent with Annex (sold separately)
Claim to Fame:
The Smittybilt Overlander Tent is a standard sized rooftop tent. It is a good choice for protection against snakes, bugs, and water during rainy days out.
The Smittybilt Tent Annex is an attachment to the Smittybilt Overlander Tent. It provides additional cover for changing clothes and space storage or for sleeping. It comes with rugged, heavy-duty zippers for attachment and an inner door flap for easy access to your vehicle.
Together, these make a two-story, multiroomed tent.
- The Overlander tent can sleep 2-3 adults and comes with a foam mattress measuring 92″ x 55″ and 661 lb. maximum load.
- This tent features a sunroof, side windows with mosquito netting and interior LED strips. It also comes with a telescopic ladder and mounting brackets.
- The tent is constructed with a heavy-duty waterproof top and rain fly. It has a PVC cover which keeps the tent dry and free from UV rays when not in use. The poles are of anodized aluminum.
- The tent is completely water-resistant and can withstand any kind of weather.
- It is easy to set up and take down.
The Smittybilt Overlander Tent is designed for those who want a premium SUV tent. With its heavy-duty construction, it can last longer than most tents. Given these added features, it is just fair that it is priced higher compared with other models.
Single Room SUV Tents
Ozark Trail SUV Tent
Claim to Fame:
The Ozark Trail SUV Tent is easy to set up even for beginners. From backyards to local campgrounds, the instant set-up feature makes it always ready for your adventure.
- This tent is very spacious with a lot of head room and can accommodate 5 adults.
- It offers 2 doors if not attached to your vehicle. It also comes with a removable rainfly, an attached mud mat, a lantern hook, a media pocket and other pockets, and a canopy.
- Made of 185T polyester and the framework is fiberglass poles. It meets flammability requirements but may still burn with continuous exposure to flame.
- It can easily be converted into a ground tent.
- Fits most SUVs and minivans.
The Ozark Trail SUV Tent is a wise choice for beginners but being a budget tent, it’s not likely to last long under bad weather conditions. It offers decent protection against rain with the attached vestibule. Perfect for a family just starting out camping or on a budget. It’s convenient because the multiple storage pockets are useful for kids’ gadgets.
Honda SUV Tent
Claim to Fame:
Yes, Honda makes a tent. The Honda SUV Tent is specifically designed for Honda SUVs including CR-V, Element, Odyssey and Pilot models. It boasts its floor which is made of high quality double-coated RipStop polyethylene that can hold up under lots of feet.
- This tent measures 6’ x 6’ and claims a maximum occupancy of 6 adults, although you’d probably be more comfortable limiting yourself to 4 adults max.
- It has 3 side windows providing great ventilation, the head room allows you to stand while changing. It comes with a rainfly to cover the roof or can be used as a canopy for an extended shaded space.
- The material is of high quality polyester with 1200 mm of waterproof protection.
- Can be pitched independently or allows access to your vehicle from inside the tent when attached to your SUV.
- An OEM product for Honda SUVs.
The Honda SUV Tent may be a good choice if you drive a Honda SUV. But even so, customers complain that this tent is prone to leakage, especially after prolonged use. While it lasts, this is a decent tent for activities like tailgating and barbecues under the awning.
Rightline Gear SUV Tent
Claim to Fame:
The Rightline Gear SUV Tent claims to let you camp without leaving the luxuries of your home behind. It has a no-see-um mesh on windows and doors that can be closed for privacy. The glow-in-the-dark zippers are also helpful at night.
- Provides an 8’ x 8’ floor area with 7.25’ headroom, enough for 4 adults.
- Large windows and doors with no-see-um mesh and storm covers, 2 gear pockets, and an overhead lantern hook.
- Made with water-resistant fabric with tape sealed seams providing 2000 mm waterproof rating and PE bathtub floor that prevents mud and puddles to collect under the tent
- This tent can be easily converted into a standalone tent by untying up the vehicle sleeve from the dowel and loop fasteners.
- It has an adjustable vehicle sleeve which allows the tent to connect to the back of any SUV, minivan, crossover, wagon, jeep hardtop, or pick-up truck with cap, with or without a roof rack, and works well with rear hatch doors or rear barn doors making it the best choice if you have a small cargo van.
The Rightline Gear SUV Tent provides the utmost weather protection with its higher-than-standard waterproof rating, reinforced bathtub floors, and storm flaps. While the glow-in-the-dark zippers can be convenient at night, this also tends to become a problem as they can be flimsy and prone to tear over time.
Napier Backroadz SUV Tent
Claim to Fame:
The Backroadz SUV Tent has an intuitive vehicle sleeve that easily connects you to your gear. The meshed windows keep bugs outside. It is built for the outdoors, to let you enjoy your adventure, rain or shine.
- This tent has a floor area of 10’ x 10’ with over 7’ of headroom and sleeps up to 5 adults.
- It has storm flaps for the large door and 3 meshed windows, a small awning, a gear pocket, and a lantern holder.
- Made with polyester taffeta providing an 800 mm waterproof rating, PE floors, and fiberglass poles.
- It can easily convert into a standalone tent.
- The vehicle sleeve fits minivans, SUVs, and crossover vehicles using the integrated adjustment system.
The Backroadz SUV Tent is an economical choice if you’re looking for the best value for your money. It doesn’t have separate rooms but it is well-ventilated. However, walls and roof may not be as durable and can be prone to tearing. The waterproofing is also not as high and may leak during heavy rains.
Napier Sportz Dome-To-Go Tent
Claim to Fame:
The Sportz Dome-To-Go Tent is the only one out there that fits hatchback cars and crossovers (CUVs). The easy-install feature claims that you can set this tent up in under 15 minutes.
- Enjoy an 8.5’ x 8.5’ x 6.5’ room with an optional 6’ x 6’ awning that provides shade and additional space
- It has 2 large doors and 3 meshed windows for ventilation and comes with a full-length rainfly
- The walls and roof are made up of polyester taffeta with PU coating rated 1200 waterproofing. This tent’s poles are fiberglass and steel. The rainfly is polyester taffeta with taped seams.
- The vehicle sleeve can be removed and transforms the tent into a traditional ground tent.
- The universal style sleeve fits hatchback cars and small CUVs.
This is a small, lightweight, and compact dome tent that lets you enjoy outdoor camping with your small hatchback car. The quick set-up feature gives you more time and energy for your planned activities. With its small size, however, the sleeping space is somewhat limited.
Texsport Retreat SUV Tent
Claim to Fame:
The Texsport Retreat SUV Tent has some decent features that can compete with other models in the market. It is well-made using fine materials to better serve its purpose.
- This tent has a dimension of 10′ x 10′ with 76″ head room and sleeps up to 5 persons comfotably.
- The “D” style front door and windows are meshed for privacy and bug protection. It comes with storm flaps with steel anchors securing the tent from winds. There are 3 deep wall pockets for your gear.
- The tent is flameproof. The materials used are 190T polyester with a 1000 mm polyurethane coating. The floor is made of ripstop polyethylene.
- The unique design lets you use it as a standalone dome tent.
- It is fairly compatible with most SUVs and minivans.
The Texsport Retreat SUV Tent is a good choice for your camping adventure. It is spacious and can fit a small group or family. However, The waterproofing can only hold up against light rain as the rating is not high enough.
SUV Tent Awnings
DAC Explorer 2 SUV Tent
Claim to Fame:
The DAC Explorer 2 SUV and minivan truck bed tent is a great choice if you want to convert your vehicle into an all-in-one camping site. It fits most minivans and SUVs with a rear lift-gate including Dodge Grand Caravan, Honda Odyssey, Toyota Highlander, Chevy Equinox.
- Capacity is for 1 sleeping adult.
- It has a rear door panel that you can roll up to reveal 2 meshed windows for bug protection. Alternatively, you can tie this panel to the bottom corners or zip up for privacy.
- It has an easy-set-up feature and uses bungee cords to attach to the vehicle’s underframe.
- Fits vehicles with rear doors measuring less than 67 inches wide.
- Compact, lightweight and one of the most economical choices in the market.
The DAC Explorer 2 SUV tent is slightly different from the previous brands mentioned, but if you’re on a solo trip and your SUV or minivan fits the criteria of this tent, then it’s worth checking it out. However, even if your vehicle is compatible, customers complain that the edges don’t fit tight. Still, this tent is a decent option for its price.
Napier Sportz Cove SUV/Minivan Tent
Claim to Fame:
The Napier Sportz Cove SUV/Minivan Tent is the perfect camping companion. It is compact, lightweight and can quickly transform the back of your SUV into a shelter.
- Comes with 2’ awning that attaches to the rear of your vehicle and can accommodate 2 adults.
- It has 1 meshed door with storm flaps.
- This awning is made with polyester taffeta with PU coating of 1200 mm waterproof rating and also comes with a fiberglass pole.
- It is easy to install and has universal a attachment system that easily fits most SUVs, CUVs and minivans.
- Best for campers with tight budget and who love tailgating, picnics, and bonfires.
The Napier Sportz Cove SUV/Minivan Tent is perfect for solo and couple trips. It primarily works as an awning that provides a living space at the back of your car and additional shade to sit on the ground. On the other hand, it doesn’t have reflective strips so driving with the tend installed is not advised. It is to be used only when the car is parked.
Add-a-Cabana SUV Tent
Claim to Fame:
The Add-a-Cabana SUV Tent has a different design from other SUV tent awnings. It easily turns the back of your car into a covered area which is ideal for changing clothes especially when you’re at the beach.
- Once installed, it measures 6 feet tall.
- Easily attaches to your vehicle with buckled straps and Velcro closures. It also uses built-in heavy duty magnets to cling to the sides of the vehicle.
- This tent is made up of PVC material that is both durable and lightweight. This also prevents rain from getting inside the vehicle.
- It is compatible with almost any kind of SUVs, minivans, or vehicles with rear doors.
- It weighs just 4 pounds and easily fits anywhere in the vehicle for easy storage and transport.
The Add-a-Cabana SUV Tent works by providing enough shade and cover at the back of your vehicle for various purposes. It doesn’t have any mesh covering or any windows for ventilation. With its size and features, this tent is just suitable for simple tasks.
KingCamp Awning Sun Shelter SUV Tent
Claim to Fame:
The KingCamp Compass SUV Tent is a multifunction auto tent or shade, super convenient for adding some extra shade in a very convenient location. It is best for beach trips, picnics, and tailgating. It is large enough to cover a table and a few chairs.
- This tent measures 124″ x 84.6″ (more than 12′ x 8′) and can provide shade for up to 5 people.
- It can be roped to the back of the vehicle or simply placed on the ground for a stand-alone shelter, with one end supported with the steel poles.
- This is a roof tent designed like a big umbrella with one big meshed window on top for optional ventilation. It also has air vents at its peak providing stability from the winds.
- This SUV tent features mesh pockets for small accessories and gadgets.
- The materials used are 210T RipStop polyester and PU coating with waterproof rating of 1500 mm. The frame is composed of 3 fiberglass poles and 2 steel canopy poles. The set also comes with ropes for more stability.
- It can be used with most SUVs, MPVs, trucks, hatchbacks, and sedans. Can also be used on its own.
The KingCamp Compass SUV Tent is perfect for tailgating, family picnics, and chilling at the beach. The best part is that you can take it with you when you’re not near your car. It provides enough shade as a low-profile ground tent. Though the design doesn’t allow you to sleep in it, it still provides protection against the heat of the sun, some rains and strong winds.
Hasika Awning SUV Tent
Claim to Fame:
The Hasika Awning SUV Tent is ideal for those looking for a large shade for activities like picnics and beach relaxation. It can easily cover a table and a few chairs and you can bring this in sports events and festivals.
- This awning measures 137″ x 94″ x 41″ (approximately 13′ x 8′ x 3.5′) and can accommodate up to 5 people.
- It has a big meshed side window and air vents at the peak.
- It has a polyester construction of 210T and waterproof mesh.
- The outboard height can be adjusted to provide more cover if needed.
- It is versatile enough to be used on most SUVs, trucks, RV, MPVs, sedan and camper kitchens.
The Hasika Awning SUV Tent provides enough shade and cover for a picnic table. This tent is useful for activities like boating, camping, sports events or festivals. You have to keep in mind though, that this offers very limited protection compared with a full sized tent. It doesn’t allow you to sleep inside and it won’t stand against heavy storms.
A Few Notes on Price and Quality
Ground level tents are a cheaper option than rooftop tents. They also come in different sizes and varying capacity. More often than not, ground level tents can also be used as standalone tents.
Truck bed tents offer better protection against bugs and mud but the space is just as big as the back of your vehicle.
Rooftop tents are generally the most durable and can withstand almost any weather condition. It also offers the best protection from wild animals, insects, and flooding. However, it also has the highest price tag.
Adding the convenience of accessing your vehicle from inside your tent can be priceless! If you’re a regular car camper like me, SUV tents really add a lot to your camping experience, especially if you have a family.
When choosing an SUV tent, you should decide what you’re going to use it for. There are many great options for single-room tents that also stand alone so you don’t have to always have your car attached. But if you have a large family, multi-room tents can be great!
Finally, awnings are a great option to add extra shade to a campsite or for outdoor activities like tailgating or picnics, but aren’t designed to provide adequate shelter for camping.
Just make sure to check the compatibility with your vehicle before purchasing an SUV tent.
You might also be interested in:
Do you sleep as well camping as you do at home? If not, you should! Read The Most Comfortable Way to Sleep in a Tent and check out the infographic at the end!
Want to extend your camping into the winter? Check out the best tent heaters or how to heat a tent!
6 thoughts on “15 Best SUV Tents for 2021 Reviewed”
This says best of 2021 yet 90% of them aren’t available.
Yes, many companies are having supply issues right now in all sectors of the economy. Partly because we are in the wake of the pandemic and partly because the tanker that got stuck in the Suez canal (that has had lasting impacts for months). I’m hoping by the end of the year, they will keep them in stock more regularly. Thank you for letting me know and sorry for the inconvenience.
Hi, we just made a new SUV tent, and it is available on Amazon as well, would you like to consider doing an review for our tent too, and possibly adding it to your list. Thanks a lot! Here is the link of our tent: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B099Z5MD3C?ref=myi_title_dp You can also check our website: http://www.everybodypreps.com
Hi, thanks for letting me know about this. It looks interesting. I will consider adding it to the 2022 list
I have a dirt bike rack on THE back of my suv and would rather not take it on and off all the time. I’m hoping to find a tent that can attach to the side sliding door. Any idea if there is a decent hack to make one work that is designed for the back?
That’s a great question but I don’t have any experience trying something like this. I think you could rig up some way to attach the car port of the tent to the inside of the SUV. It should be possible but it would definitely be a homemade solution.